Thursday 15 March 2012

15th March - Build Day 4 - Fitting Heat Shield Material

Spent a couple of hours this evening fitting heat shield material around both foot wells and the transmission tunnel.  I was keen not to get hot feet or legs as there's no carpet on the transmission tunnel of a my car.  Made up a lot of paper templates and then transferred them to the heat shield material.  I bought a metre square from Woolies Trim for under £30.  Fiddly bit came when applying the contact glue to both surfaces and then trying to get the pieces in the right position - because as soon as the glue touches it's stuck - so you can't really adjust it.  Pretty happy with the finished result.

I was considering having the header pipes ceramic coated (Camcoat or Zircotec) but Sean has advised my that shield will be enough.  Can't say I took much persuading as it was going to cost £250 (and I can always wrap them if it turns out to still be hot in the foot well.).

On the trail of the missing parts - Sean continues to live up to his reputation of being very helpful. A box of missing parts is on it's way for the weekend.  A set of photographs of the engine bay he sent me will also come in useful when it comes to installing the engine in a week or two.

I remain pleasantly surprised that the build is going so smoothly (touch wood). If only Caterham could do a better job of picking the parts when they put the kits together (and included a list of what's not included) the experince would be almost perfect. Can it be that difficult?  What would Caterham F1 say if on unpacking for qualifying they found that they'd only packed one set of wheels?



No comments:

Post a Comment